Bulgaria Boasts Best Wheat Harvest in 8 Years - Minister
Bulgarian Agriculture Minister Dimitar Grekov has said that 96% of this year's wheat crop and 99.5% of the barley crop have been harvested.
Speaking after a government sitting on Wednesday, he boasted that it was Bulgaria's best harvest in 8 years.
Grekov, as cited by the Bulgarian Telegraph Agency (BTA), made clear that a total of 4.716 million tones of wheat had been harvested from a territory of 11.7 million decares, the average yield being 428 kg per decare.
He informed that a total of 66.51% of this year's wheat harvest was top-quality and could be used for bread.
Grekov said that the 2013 harvesting campaign proceeded at a better pace compared to 2012 owing to the good processing of the crops, the favorable meteorological conditions and the use of appropriate types of crops developed by Bulgarian research institutes.
Grekov emphasized that grain exports were not the most efficient way to make profits both for Bulgarian agricultural producers and the state.
He insisted that a portion of the grain harvest had to go to other sectors like livestock breeding and the production of value-added food items.
Bulgaria's Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski is to meet Thursday with grain producers to discuss options for an earlier payment of subsidies for 2014, according to reports of Sega daily.
Grekov announced Wednesday that he would ask that at least 20% of the state subsidies earmarked for 2014 be paid in the autumn of 2013.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria and 20+ Nations in Ambitious Push to Triple Nuclear Energy by 2050
- » Bulgarian Finance Minister Reports State Budget Deficit Drop in November
- » Bulgargaz Announces Proposed 6.5% Increase in December's Natural Gas Price
- » Bulgaria: 85% of Population Reside in Owned Homes
- » Tech Industry's Resilience: Bulgaria Foresees Slower Software Sector Growth
- » Bulgarian and Ukrainian Agriculture Ministers Forge Agreement on Export Licensing System for Key Crop