No Injured Bulgarian Rangers in Afghanistan Rocket Attack
The Kandahar airport where Bulgarian NATO contingent is stationed has been under rocket fire, the Bulgarian Defense Ministry announced Tuesday.
Rockets were launched Tuesday at 4:59 am local time.
None of the some three hundred Bulgarian rangers at the Kandahar Air Base have been wounded, according to the press release. There is no material damage either.
The worst incident with Bulgarian soldiers in Afghanistan to date occurred in January 2010, when four Bulgarians were wounded in a Taliban rocket attack, with one of them subsequently losing his hand. The incident coincided with the visit to the base of then Bulgarian Defense Minister, Nikolay Mladenov.
Bulgaria's military presence in Afghanistan initially consisted of 530 rangers.
In 2010, Bulgaria increased its Afghanistan contingent as part of the ISAF/NATO forces to 600 troops; half are stationed at the Kandahar airport.
The former government of the center-right Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB, adopted in mid-January a long anticipated decision to terminate partly the Bulgarian military mission in Afghanistan.
The decision came in accordance with strategy for transformation of Bulgaria's participation in the ISAF mission in Afghanistan, which was approved by the government at the end of 2011, following a decision by the USA under President Barack Obama's plan for a major withdrawal from Afghanistan by 2014.
By the end of 2014 Bulgaria will continue to maintain its security company guarding the interior zone at the Kandahar Airport as well its teams of advisers to the local security forces.
After 2014, Bulgaria will continue its participation in NATO's mission in Afghanistan only with teams of advisers stationed on the ground with the Afghan security forces and the local authorities.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Defense Minister: The Suggestions from the Dutch that you can Cross the Border for 50 Euros are Offensive
- » The List of Weapons that Bulgaria will provide to Ukraine is ready
- » Lockheed Martin: The first Bulgarian F-16 Fighter jet is already being Assembled
- » The Most Cyberattacks against Bulgaria come from Russia
- » The Bulgarian Parliament ratified the Contract for the Acquisition of 8 more F-16 Fighter Jets
- » President Radev: Bulgaria actively participates in all NATO exercises in the Black Sea Region