Investigation into Death of Powerful Bulgarian Bishop Continues
Authorities continue the investigation into the death of Varna metropolitan bishop Kiril, one of the most powerful members of Bulgaria’s senior Orthodox clergy.
Varna District Prosecutor Vladimir Chavdarov has told the Bulgarian National Television that authorities continue the questioning of witnesses.
A pathology report is expected to be ready by the end of next week, he said.
The metropolitan's body was discovered on a beach in the exurban area of Trakata near Varna on July 9.
Kiril allegedly died from hypothermia after diving in a very cold Black Sea current. The Orthodox Church has refuted initial reports that authorities may suspect foul play.
Bishop Kiril, born with the secular name Bogomil Kovachev, led a controversial life.
In 2012, the he was exposed as a former agent of State Security (DS) the Bulgarian secret service during the Communist dictatorship (1944-1989). Kiril worked as a secret agent under the aliases "Kovachev" and "Vladislav."
There have been many reports that Kiril has been selling and distributing lucrative Church property illegally, meddling in the work of the Church Boards.
During 2011 and early 2012, bishop Kiril raised controversy after being spotted riding a top modern Lincoln MKZ Hybrid car.
Earlier this week, Dorostol metropolitan Amvrosiy was appointed interim metropolitan of Varna and Veliki Preslav.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: 12 Migrants crammed into a Car were Detained in the Harmanlii village of Bulgarin
- » Bulgaria: A Man Killed his Wife and Daughter, then took His Own Life
- » Action in Bulgaria: Police Chase and Shooting near a Business Building in Sofia - A Boy was Killed
- » Bulgaria’s Interior Minister: There is Still No Suspect for the Murder of Alexei Petrov
- » Bulgaria: A Man Beat a Woman he lives with in Svishtov and Cut her Hair
- » Bulgarian Police caught a Large Group of Migrants near Kazichene