Swoboda Slams Bulgarian Socialists over Controversial Appointment
Hannes Swoboda, Chairman of the Socialists and Democrats Group in the European Parliament, has expressed his surprise over the election of controversial Bulgarian media mogul Delyan Peevski as head of the country’s powerful national security agency.
“I am surprised by Bulgarian government nomination of head of National Security Agency.There must be more competent ones,” Swoboda said on Twitter late on Saturday.
On Saturday, the Socialist-led government of Bulgarian PM Plamen Oresharski said it would reverse its appointment of media tycoon Delyan Peevski as head of state security just a day after rushing it through parliament.
The move came amid massive nationwide protests triggered by the controversial appointment.
More anti-government rallies are to be held on Sunday.
A new director of the powerful security agency is expected to be elected next week.
- » Monitoring for Bulgaria Under CVM may be Concluded before the End of EC Mandate
- » Ognian Zlatev, EC in Bulgaria: EC Monitoring Reports are not a Whim but a Necessary Mechanism for Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Council of Ministers: EC Report under CVM is Objective, we Continue with Reforms
- » The EC Partially Suspends Monitoring of Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Region is the EU Leader in Road Accident Casualties, Another One is in the Top Five
- » Mariya Gabriel: Europe Must Keep People at the Centre of Digital Policy