Swoboda Slams Bulgarian Socialists over Controversial Appointment
Hannes Swoboda, Chairman of the Socialists and Democrats Group in the European Parliament, has expressed his surprise over the election of controversial Bulgarian media mogul Delyan Peevski as head of the country’s powerful national security agency.
“I am surprised by Bulgarian government nomination of head of National Security Agency.There must be more competent ones,” Swoboda said on Twitter late on Saturday.
On Saturday, the Socialist-led government of Bulgarian PM Plamen Oresharski said it would reverse its appointment of media tycoon Delyan Peevski as head of state security just a day after rushing it through parliament.
The move came amid massive nationwide protests triggered by the controversial appointment.
More anti-government rallies are to be held on Sunday.
A new director of the powerful security agency is expected to be elected next week.
- » European Investment Bank Provides BGN 70 Million Loan to Finance Small Businesses in Bulgaria
- » Eva Maydell: The EU is the Best Place For Bulgarian Business
- » Varna Loses EUR 225,000 European Funding due to Irregularities in Public Procurement
- » The Government has Approved Applications for a European Public Prosecutor from Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria is at the Bottom of the EU by Number of Innovative Enterprises, According to Eurostat
- » 9 European Countries in Sofia Are Discussing Future Agriculture Policy