Thousands Rally in Bulgaria against Election of Shady Mogul for 'FBI' Head
The election of controversial businessman Delyan Peevski as the new head of Bulgaria’s State Agency for National Security (DANS) has stirred outrage in Bulgaria, triggering protests in major cities.
Thousands joined the rally in front of the Council of Ministers in downtown Sofia.
Parallel rallies have also been announced in the cities of Varna, Plovdiv, Lovech, Dimitrovgrad, Burgas, Pernik, Pleven, Blagoevgrad, Sliven, Stara Zagora, Ruse, Sandanski and Kazanlak, among others.
The Parliament voted Friday to approve the nomination of Prime Minister, Plamen Oresharski, who proposed to have Peevski, Member of the Parliament from the liberal ethnic Turkish party Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS) to lead DANS.
In a move, stunning both MPs from the opposition center-right Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB, of former Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov, and parliamentary reporters, Oresharski proposed at the beginning of the sitting to have a new item on the agenda – election of new DANS Director.
The request caused outraged GERB MPs to leave plenary hall.
Oresharski then proceeded to nominate Peevski. The controversial MP was then quickly elected as the new head of the agency.
Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev canceled his participation in the inauguration of the second Danube Bridge linking Bulgaria and Romania after the shocking election.
- » Bulgarian Government Approves over BGN 21 Million for Children from Vulnerable Groups and for Training of Specialties
- » BDZ Will Provide Over 8,000 Additional Train Seats For The Holidays
- » Bulgaria Becomes an Owner of Properties in Budapest, Used by Its Embassy
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov: The Toll System should Start Working in the Summer
- » Germany Considers Bulgaria a Truly Important Partner For a Very Strong Pro-European Country.
- » By October 2020 'Hemus' Highway Between Varna and Targovishte Will be Ready