Expert: Bulgaria Ranks 6 Globally by Alcohol Consumption
Bulgaria has been ranked sixth globally by alcoholic beverages consumption with 30 liters a year per capita.
The data was reported Saturday by psychiatrist Dr Alexander Kanchelov, expert on treating alcohol dependency.
Speaking for Darik radio, he said that 350 000 Bulgarians are alcohol dependent, but only 1% seek treatment. 30% of men and 20% of women are at risk.
According to him, a standard drink in Bulgaria is a class of wine, 25 milliliters of liquor or a small beer.
Consumption of 21 such drinks in the course of 5 days each week for men and 14 for women is a risk, gradually leading to addiction.
Kanchelov method of treatment includes moderate consumption instead of full abstention. The target is the 30% of regular consumers, who are at risk.
The doctor believes that full abstention is unachievable in most cases.
- » Today Is the World Diabetes Day - more than 650,000 People in Bulgaria Live with the Disease
- » 5 Best CBD Gummies to Purchase This Year
- » US Health Authorities Have Identified the Ingredient in the Electronic Cigarettes that Causes Lung Illnesses
- » Annually more than 4,000 People Develop Lung Cancer in Bulgaria - over 3,000 of them Are Men
- » There Are 442 Thousand People with Diabetes in Bulgaria
- » November - Lung Cancer Awareness Month