Bulgaria Legends Beat Aston Villa Old Stars in Petrov Charity Game
A team of former Bulgarian internationals defeated Aston Villa’s “Old Stars” 4:2 in a friendly game dedicated to former Bulgaria and Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov.
Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov scored twice for the Bulgarian all-star team, while veteran winger Martin Petrov and former Bulgaria international Petar Mihtarski netted once. Martin Carruthers scored twice for Aston Villa.
The game was played as part of the "Support Stan" campaign to raise money for the treatment of children diagnosed with leukemia.
The likes of Hristo Stoichkov, Krasimir Balakov, and Lyuboslav Penev played for Bulgaria, while the Aston Villa Old Stars squad featured Mark Kinsella, Lee Hendrie and Tony Daley, among others.
Some 10 000 spectators witnessed Sunday’s charity game in the Bulgarian capital Sofia.
“Since I was a kid and dreamed about playing football, I have always wanted to be part of the national team. Wearing the national jersey has always been a great honor for me and I am truly proud that I have made the fans happy, more or less,” Stiliyan Petrov said in a video message to Bulgarian supporters.
Revenues from ticket sales will go to the treatment of Bulgarian children suffering from leukemia.
Petrov announced earlier in May that he is quitting professional football as he continues his fight against leukemia. Petrov is now in remission after being diagnosed with the illness in March last year.
Petrov had been playing for Villa since 2006, after seven seasons in Celtic; before that he played for CSKA Sofia and PFC Montana. He has 105 appearances and 8 goals for the Bulgarian national football team.
- » Ivet Lalova with a Second Gold Medal in the Super League of Turkey's Athletics Club
- » The "Golden Girls" of Bulgaria with Gold Medals from the World Challenge Cup
- » China Wins Women's Doubles at ITTF World Tour in Bulgaria
- » Brazil, Bulgaria Win First Matches at Men's Volleyball Olympic Qualification in Varna
- » Changes in Traffic Around National Stadium Due to CSKA - Zorya Luhansk match
- » Woman Wins 4,000-km Bulgaria-France Bike race after Sleeping by Road