Bulgarians Join Global March Against Monsanto
Rallies against genetically modified organisms were held Saturday in Bulgarian capital Sofia and in the city of Veliko Tarnovo, as part of a global day of protests.
The worldwide rallies are carried out under the Global March Against Monsanto banner, targeting US giant Monsanto, which has a huge share of the global GMO market.
Scores of ralliers gathered in the two cities, requesting stronger protection against what they see as a highly environmentally hazardous commercial practice.
GMOs are banned with a law from being grown in Bulgaria, but activists wanted further regulation such as explicit labelling of GMO-containing foods and a strict monitoring of compliance with the ban.
Ralliers carried signs such as "GMO = Cancer", "Pure Food, Healthy Kids", and "Obama, Stop GMO!"
Some 2 M people in over 55 countries around the world are estimated to have participated in the so-called Global March Against Monsanto Saturday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Stringent Anti-Epidemic Measures in Force till 21 December! Gyms Shut down but Football Matches Allowed
- » Top Cardiologist: Immune Defenses Against COVID-19 Are Synthesized in Sleep, Psyche and Immunity
- » Bulgarian Church Honors St. Kliment Ochridski Today
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 4382 Registered Cases, 1876 Cured
- » Bulgaria Tops Mortality Rate Ranking, GPs Join Battle with Pandemic
- » European Commission Will Approve Vaccine Contract with Moderna Inc. Tomorrow