Bulgarian President: Macedonia Is Not Artificial Nation
Bulgarian President, Rosen Plevneliev, has firmly rejected the opinion of Bulgarian Ambassador to the EU, Dimitar Tsanchev, who says Macedonia is an artificially created nation after 1941.
"You did not hear me ever say such thing," said Plevneliev, quoted by the Macedonian Information Agency, MIA.
In a recent interview, Tsanchev also accused Macedonia of provocations towards Bulgaria.
He has criticized Macedonia as well, but nevertheless has distanced himself from Bulgaria influencing the European Council to postpone in December 2012 negotiations with Macedonia on its EU membership, according to MIA.
He has further linked Bulgaria's support for EU accession with sealing a contract for friendship and for common celebration of historical events.
"The decision that Macedonia is not yet ready for negotiations to join the EU is a common decision of the Council of EU Ministers. There was no Bulgarian or Greek veto. We have always backed Macedonia in difficult times, but if one asks for help, they must work for it as well. There are 2 big issues – how the 1999 contract is being applied, particularly in the last 4-5 years and our common history. One, we should not export our problems in the EU, but leave them at the door. Two – if someone decides our heroes are just theirs – this is against all decisions of the European Parliament," Plevneliev said, cited by MIA.
He was born in the southwestern town of Gotse Delchev in the so-called Bulgarian Pirin Macedonia, often claimed by Macedonian politicians.
The President has also criticized the mounting of monuments of Bulgarian national heroes in Skopje.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria Suspends Visas for Russians with Property in Bulgaria and for Tourists from Russia
- » Russia Expelled 14 Bulgarian Diplomats
- » The Russian Ambassador expressed Hope that things will Change in Bulgaria
- » US Ambassador: Politicians in Bulgaria take advantage of Russian Propaganda for short-term Benefits
- » US Ambassador Herro Mustafa leaves Bulgaria as an Optimist for the Fight against Corruption in our Country
- » Bulgaria reminded EU Countries that it Does Not Recognize the "Macedonian Language"