Scores Arrested as Levski Wins Bulgaria's Eternal Football Derby
Bulgaria’s police has arrested 57 fans in connection with violence before the top local football derby between the bitter rivals CSKA and Levski in Sofia, another ten have been detained after its end.
In a separate development Levski fans attacked a public transport bus. A young woman was injured in the incident and rushed to hospital.
Around 1 pm police patrols on foot in the central park Borisova Gradina noticed two adversary fan groups of about 20 young men getting ready to start a fight.
Knifes, bats and metal knocks were found on them. They have all been arrested.
The derby started at 4 pm at the National Vasil Levski Stadium in Borisova Gradina under heavy police presence and ended with a 2-1 win for the Blues.
Levski Sofia are now on top of the Bulgarian league with 55 points from 24 matches, one more than champions Ludogorets.
CSKA rank third with 48 points.
Patrols were dispatched not only in the park, but all over downtown Sofia and near public transportation stops and inside the subway stations as the fans often vandalize public transportation vehicles. Buses, trams, and trollies transporting large groups of fans were escorted by police cruisers.
240 policemen were on duty.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Mobile Betting Apps: Sports News and Tips
- » Four Bronze Medals for Bulgarian students from the Informatics Olympiad
- » Nurgyul Salimova with a Record Rating in the FIDE Rankings
- » Nurgyul Salimova: I am Proud of what I have Achieved, I Felt the Support of many Bulgarians and People from all over the World
- » After 30 years: Bulgaria Won again the Team World Title in Rhythmic Gymnastics
- » Women's Spanish teams Refuse to Play until the President of the Football Federation is replaced