Ricin-Tainted Letter Sent to US Senator
A letter that has tested positive for the lethal toxin ricin or another poisonous substance has been posted to a US Republican senator.
The letter, intended for Mississippi senator Roger Wicker, was intercepted at a centre handling post for the Capitol in Washington DC.
A laboratory in Maryland confirmed the presence of ricin after initial field tests indicated the poison was present.
However, the FBI said additional testing is needed as field and preliminary tests produce inconsistent results, CNN informs.
The letter had a Memphis, Tennessee, postmark and no return address, according to Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Terrance Gainer.
Ricin, extracted from castor beans, is 1,000 times more toxic than cyanide. It can be fatal when inhaled, swallowed or injected, although it is possible to recover from exposure.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Kremlin Supports the Serbs in Kosovo - The West blames Pristina
- » MEPs call for Hungary's EU Presidency to be Postponed
- » Day 462 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia announced that it had Sunk Ukraine's last Warship
- » Artificial Intelligence could wipe out Humanity according to Experts
- » Blinken: Now is the Time for Sweden to join NATO
- » Failure: North Korea's Spy Satellite Crashed into the Sea