Beekeepers in 5 Bulgarian Cities Stage Protests
Beekeepers from five cities staged protests Wednesday against Bulgaria's decision to abstain from voting at the European Parliament on a ban on using neonicotinoid pesticides linked to the decline of bees.
The Wednesday rallies were held in Shumen, Varna, Silistra, Razgrad and Targovishte, with a new protest scheduled for April 22, the International Mother Earth Day, in Sofia, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Television (BNT).
At the beginning of 2013, the European Commission asked EU Member States to suspend for two years the use of neonicotinoid insecticides on sunflower, rapeseed, maize and cotton.
The proposal was triggered by a report of the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) which claimed that the use of neonicotinoid pesticides posed an unacceptable risk to bees.
However, the attempt to ban the use of neonicotinoids failed, as major countries like UK and Germany did not back the plan in a vote on March 15.
In 2012, a total of around 200 000 bees died in Bulgaria, against a total beekeeping capacity of over 1 million.
Environmentalists and farmers caution that the mass disappearance of honeybees poses a threat to the harvest and also endangers the very existence of nature and people on a global scale.
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria with Temperatures up to 20-25°C
- » Bulgarian Environment Ministry: Three Nature Parks Get BGN 1.5 million Under OPE
- » Moderate Quake in Halkidiki Rattles Northern Greece
- » Bulgarian Regional Minister Explains Green Buildings for a Common Green Future Project
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria with Highs Between 19°C and 24°C
- » Mayor of Sofia: In just 10 years we have Reduced Landfill Waste from 100% to 16%
In case anyone had any doubt, this marks irrevocably the Bulgarian representatives in the European Parliament as a bunch of slop-sucking pigs!
Else, why would they abstain on this important issue, vital to world ecology?
So they can have free dinner in some bling-bling Geneva restaurant?
No force on Earth can save a people like this.