Retirees Threaten to Sue Bulgaria in European Court
The Association of Retired People in Bulgaria is threatening to sue the country in the European Court in Luxembourg.
Darik radio reported Friday that retirees are outraged by the fact the majority of them receive a monthly pension of BGN 200, which is below the official poverty line of BGN 236, set by the National Statistics Institute.
"I raised the issue before three governments and either did not receive an answer or was told that there was no money," one of the initiators of the claim, Venelina Popova, journalist from the Bulgarian National Radio, is quoted saying.
Popova says the claim is just and voices certainty it would be examined by the Court and would have a positive outcome.
It has been signed already by 182 members of the Association.
The Court in Luxemburg can examine direct claims of individuals and companies, in working parallel with judiciary in respective countries. Its rules are binding and can lead to sanctions.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria Receives Support from Hungary for Entry in Schengen Area
- » Bulgaria Received Last Warning from EU to Change Its Airport Fees
- » Bulgaria Wants Comprehensive EU Solution for Integration of N.Macedonia
- » President Radev Will Represent Bulgaria at European Council Meeting in Brussels
- » Bulgaria Takes over Rotating Presidency of SEDM Process
- » Eurostat: Excess Mortality Rate in EU Highest in Bulgaria