2013's First Tarpan Horse Born in Bulgaria
A baby Tarpan horse has been born in Bulgaria's Rhodope Mountains, the first one to come into being in 2013.
The newborn wild horse is likely to be named Katya.
Representatives of the New Thracian Gold project have told local media that more baby Tarpan horses are expected to be born over the coming weeks.
A total of four Tapran horses were born in Rhodope region in 2012.
Tarpan horses, a breed that disappeared from the wild in Europe two centuries ago, were reintroduced in Southeast Bulgaria back in September 2011.
The Tarpan is a prehistoric wild horse type that ranged from Southern France and Spain east to central Russia. Paleontologists have found out that the species was present in Bulgaria, too. It died out in the wild between 1875 and 1890 Beginning in the 1930s, several attempts have been made to re-create the tarpan through selective breeding.
Their role in Eastern Rhodopean is the same as in ancient times: to graze the wild vegetation, to mould the wilderness and to support a natural ecosystem. Wild Tarpans have a reputation of being tough and easily adapted to the harsh conditions of semi-open wilderness landscapes.
"The New Thracian Gold", a project of ARK Nature and the Avalon Foundation, was awarded funding from the Dutch National Postcode Lottery Extra draw in 2009. The project has been using this grant since 2009 to develop natural grazing, organic agriculture and ecotourism in the Eastern Rhodopes
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Significant Clouds with Little Chance of Rain
- » Weather in Bulgaria: First Snow is expected on Tuesday. Cold, but without Siberian frosts in December
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cloudy with Light Rains across the Country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny in the East with Max Temp Between 7°-12°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Significant Clouds and Max Temperatures Between 6°-11°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cloudy with Rain Showers in Many Places of the Country