Bulgarian 'Cocaine King' Trial Resumes in Italy
A new session of the Court trial against the so-called "Cocaine Kings," including alleged Bulgarian drug lord Evelin Banev AKA Brendo, is taking place Friday in Italy.
Banev is charged with being the ring leader of an organized crime group dealing with illegal drug trafficking, financing cocaine trafficking, and trans-border organized crime.
At the beginning of March, Banev's 10-year-old daughter Lara was abducted by masked gunmen in the affluent Sofia suburb of Boyana. A 36-year-old bodyguard was shot twice in the back. Her whereabouts remain unknown.
Banev is being held in prison in Milan, Italy, where he was extradited after his arrest in Bulgaria last spring in a special police operation codenamed "Cocaine Kings," and is coming to Bulgaria only for the court sessions of the local trial against him.
According to various reports, the abduction was a warning for him to keep silent in the Milan Court. Lara's whereabouts remain unknown.
- » Bulgarian Customs Officials Seized 7200 Liters of Alcohol in Cans Packaged as Coconut Milk
- » One Killed and Several Injured in a Shooting inside a Tram in Utrecht
- » The New Zealand Terrorist did not Know Bulgarian Citizens
- » The Bulgarian Ministry of Interior Investigates Murder of a Woman in Harmanli
- » Police Detained 27 Illegal Immigrants in Plovdiv
- » The Active User Association Established Imitations of Quality Olive Oil on the Bulgarian Market