Fresh Illegal Construction Under Way in Bulgarian Protected Area
Construction is under way in the heart of Bulgaria's Ropotamo nature reserve, alarmed Monday investigative website Bivol.bg.
According to reports on the basis of observations on the site, a building with an area of 400 sq.m. is being constructed on the bank of the Ropotamo River.
The contractor, Venis Marina EOOD, has a permit to organize boat trips on the river, which flows into the Black Sea just north of the Primorsko resort town.
According to Bivol, the company is under the control of local shady businessmen, such as Hristoforos Amanatidis, who is wanted on charges of drug trafficking.
The website writes that the construction has a permit issued by the Burgas regional environmental inspection unit.
The permit has however been issued without any coordination with the Ministry of Environment, which is required per statute for work in protected areas.
Burgas enviromnmental agency head Boycho Georgiev has gained notoriety in a similar incident involving construction on Natura 2000 protected sand dunes in the resort town of Nessebar.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Rain only in the Mountains
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Rain only in the Southwestern Regions
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sun in the East, Rain in the West
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Warm Today
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny and increasingly Warm Temperatures this week
- » Yellow Code for Rainfall and Thunderstorms has been announced for half of Bulgaria