Rescue of Bulgaria's Jews Is Historic Act of Courage - Israel Ambassador
The rescue of Bulgaria's Jews during WW II is an unparalelled act that will be remembered by the entire world, stated Israel ambassador to Bulgaria Shaul Kamisa-Raz.
Sunday Bulgaria is commemorating 70 years since the events that prevented the sending of Bulgaria's 48,000-strong Jewish community in 1943 to Nazi death camps.
"This is a historic day not only for the Bulgarian nation and the Bulgarian Jewish community, but also for the whole world," stated Kamisa-Raz.
The Israeli ambassador was among the official guests who unveiled a new commemoration plaque in Bulgarian capital Sofia that honors the efforts of rescuers and remembers the deaths of those who perished in the Holocaust.
"Thanks to the excellent relations between Jews and Bulgarians at that time, the Jewish community here was saved, and trains to death camps remained empty" said the diplomat.
"Regrettably, some 11,000 other Jews took on another journey. They will always be remembered," added he, referring to the Jews from territories in Yugoslavia and Greece held by Bulgaria in 1943.
"But we must never forget the brave actions of ordinary Bulgarians, the senior clergy, thte MPs and all those who selflessly led the fight against the deportation," stated Kamisa-Raz.
"Thanks to those people, Bulgaria's name was written among the names of the most enlightened nations and is honored by the entire world," said the ambassador.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Bulgarian Citizens should Hastily Leave Russia
- » Bulgaria’s MFA: The so-called Referendums in Ukraine will Not be Recognized
- » The Bulgarian Embassy in Kyiv is Working Again
- » US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Central and Eastern Europe Robin Dunnigan Visits Bulgaria
- » President Radev: Bulgaria will Once Again stand in Solidarity with Fraternal Macedonia
- » Bulgaria’s President: We will Sign Important Partnership Agreements with the UAE