Germany Dims Bulgaria's Schengen Hope
Germany is getting ready to block Bulgaria's Schengen membership, according to German Interior Minister Hans-Peter Friedrich.
In an interview for the Spiegel magazine, Friedrich warned Germany is going to veto Bulgaria's and Romania's Schengen accession as German citizens would support the enlargement of Schengen only upon fulfillment of certain conditions.
Until now the two countries were denied Schengen membership on several occasions mainly over the opposition of the Netherlands on grounds even though they have fulfilled the technical requirements, they cannot secure their borders over lack of progress in the fight against corruption and crime.
The Netherlands says it wants to see two consecutive positive European Commission reports on them under the Cooperation and Verification Mechanism.
The news was reported last weekend by the Bulgarian National Radio, BNR, citing the Council's press office.
At the beginning of the year, the Irish Presidency of the European Union distributed a program, according to which the enlargement of Schengen and Bulgaria's and Romania's membership was included in the agenda of the above summit.
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov: In July, we are Entering the Eurozone Waiting Room
- » More than half of Bulgarians Approve the EU's Foreign Policy
- » EUR 1.415 billion is Planned For the Development of Innovation
- » Bulgaria is the Worst in the EU Ranking on the Rule of Law for 2018
- » Rights of Bulgarian Citizens in the UK Will Be Guaranteed Even After a Hard Brexit
- » International Companies Awarded Bulgarian Students in Brussels