Bulgaria PM: Every Drop of Blood is Shame for Us, We Quit
Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov said the threats of turning the massive protests bloody has made him shockingly announce the resignation of his government on Wednesday.
Bulgarian MPs were expected to vote on the resignation of Finance Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Simeon Djankov.
However, Borisov made the shocking announcement that his cabinet is to resign en masse around noon.
"Our power was handed to us by the people, today we are handing it back to them," Borisov said.
"I cannot stand looking at a bloody Eagles' Bridge," he added, referring to the busy intersection in downtown Sofia that became the scene of bloody clashes between police and protesters on Tuesday.
"Every drop of blood is a shame for us," the Prime Minister also declared.
"We did our best over these four years."
The series of mass protests in Sofia and all other major Bulgarian cities was initially triggered by the shockingly high electricity bills in EU's poorest member state. However, many protesters have also demanded the resignation of the center-right GERB government.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend