Main Stand of Emblematic Sofia Stadium Demolished
Stand A, the main stand of the Georgi Asparuhov stadium in Bulgaria's capital Sofia, was successfully demolished on Sunday.
The football field is used for the host games and training practices of one of the top football teams in Bulgaria –Levski Sofia.
The controlled demolition took place at 4:30 pm local time. Over 300 kilos of explosives were used in the operation.
The demolition marked the start of the complete reconstruction of the stadium that was announced by Levski officials in 2012.
The planned work would take place in three stages - stands A and B (west and south respectively) would be completed for the club's 100th anniversery in May 2014. Stand V (east) would be finished by 2015 and stand G (north) - in 2017.
The construction of the "Georgi Asparuhov" field in "Gerena" started in 1960. It officially opened on March 10, 1963.
Sunday's demolition can be seen HERE.
- » Grigor Dimitrov Lost to Novak Djokovic in Queens
- » World Cup 2018: Football Showpiece Set to Begin in Russia
- » USA, Canada and Mexico will Host 2026 World Cup
- » Russia’s World Cup Costs to Exceed $14Bln, Media Reports
- » Spain Fired its Coach a Day before the Start of the 2018 World Cup
- » Mirela Demireva made a Historic Jump in Stockholm