Van Baalen: 'Fearless' Bulgarian Liberal Party Should Be in Power
Liberal International president Hans Van Baalen offered his support for the Movement for Rights and Freedoms party, whose leader Ahmed Dogan survived an assassination attempt.
Saturday Van Baalen is in Sofia for the national congress of the liberal movement, at which Dogan was unsuccessfully assaulted.
"We witnessed a fearless man, and a fearless party," stated the liberal leader.
Van Baalen stressed that the problem of terrorism is not endemic in Bulgaria, but is rather global, and recalled recent such attempts in his native Netherlands.
"Bulgaria and the EU are not part of the problem. They are part of the solution," added he.
"I hope that the Movement for Rights and Freedoms gets stronger for upcoming general elections in the summer, and comes to be a part of the next cabinet," said Van Baalen.
Currently the Movement is out of power, but 2005-9 it was a partner in the three way coalition cabinet led by Bulgarian Socialist Party chair Sergey Stanishev.
The Movement has been traditionally supported predominantly by Bulgaria's sizeable Turkish minority.
- » A Dog Caught Nearly 200 kg of Heroin at Kapitan Andreevo Border Checkpoint
- » The EU Grants BGN 111 Million to Replace Solid Fuel Stoves and Heaters in 21 Bulgarian Cities
- » Producers of the Famous Bulgarian Rose Protest Because of the Low Purchase Price
- » First Comments from Euroleaders at the EU-Western Balkans Summit
- » Virtual Reality – The future of European industry at WATIFY: Inspire to Transform
- » The best WATIFY Technological Transformation for 2018 is…