Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Makes Historic Tennis Final
The best male Bulgarian tennis player, Grigor Dimitrov, has scored a historic victory over Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis in Brisbane, Australia, and qualified for the final.
The nerve-racking match ended with 6-3 5-7 7-6 (7-5) and a win for Dimitrov. It was played at Pat Rafter Arena and lasted 2 hours and 28 minutes.
Bulgarian world number 48 Dimitrov survived a fight back from the former Australian Open finalist and settled the semi-final after a tense final set tiebreak.
The 21-year-old Bulgarian from the southern city of Haskovo is the youngest man in the ATP top 50. At the final, he will meet US Open champion and world number 3 Andy Murray
This will be the first ATP final in Dimitrov's career.
Murray got to the final after Kei Nishikori from Japan withdrew in the second set of their semifinal over a leg injury.
"I must admit, I am very, very happy, particularly because this is the first tournament for 2013. The feeling is marvelous indeed. My coach and I have set the goal to reach a final ASAP in the new year," Dimitrov said after the win.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » World Cup 2022: Riots in Belgium and the Netherlands after Morocco's Victory
- » World Cup 2022: Japan with a memorable Comeback - Stun Germany 2-1
- » World Cup 2022 sensation: Saudi Arabia defeated Argentina
- » Qatar 2022: Iran's Players refused to sing their National Anthem
- » The World is Football! World Cup 2022 in Qatar begins
- » Beer will be Banned from World Cup stadiums in Qatar