Romanian President Reappoints Foe Ponta as PM
Romanian President Traian Basescu on Monday reappointed his political rival Victor Ponta as Prime Minister.
"Noting that political parties called in for talks on Monday came with a single proposal for the new prime minister, President Traian Basescu has named Victor Ponta as designated premier", said a presidency press release, as cited by international media.
The move is expected to ease concerns over Romania's political stability.
Ponta's Social Liberal Union won the December 9 parliamentary polls with 60% of the vote, well ahead of the centre-right alliance supported by Basescu.
Rumors suggested that might nominate someone else from the Social Liberal Union in an attempt to split the alliance of leftists, liberals and conservatives.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Poland and the Czech Republic introduce Checks on the Slovak Border
- » The European Commission expects Harmful Emissions in the EU to be Reduced by at least 90% by 2040
- » Day 587 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Prigozhin’s Son takes control of Wagner
- » Tensions between India and Canada: New Delhi Expelled 41 Canadian Diplomats
- » The EC received Bulgaria's revised Recovery and Sustainability Plan on September 30
- » Day 586 of the Invasion of Ukraine: The EU is convening a Historic Meeting of All Foreign Ministers in Kyiv