Eagles Bridge Protesters Named Bulgaria's 'Human of the Year'
The people who gathered in downtown Sofia to protest a controversial forestry act in June have been collectively named the country's Human of the Year by a Bulgarian human rights NGO.
The Bulgarian Helsinki Committee believes the protesters managed to mobilize themselves against a government that was abusing its power in favor of private interests, thus violating the core principles of representative democracy.
The rallies carried out at Eagles Bridge (Orlov Most) in the Bulgarian capital gathered thousands of people.
Besides the Forestry Act, ralliers, who on three consecutive days June 13-15 managed to block traffic at the central Sofia intersection, have protested what they see as deep flaws in Bulgarian political life.
In particular, they saw the new legislation as intended to service the interests of particular companies in the tourism and lumber industries.
A total of 33 people and organizations were nominated for this year's Human of the Year award. The list included journalists, environmental activists, LGBT rights activists and animal welfare organizations, among others.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Few Clouds and Mostly Sunny Today with Max Temp 15°-20°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: A Decrease of Clouds and Rain with Max Temp Between 13°-18°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cloudy with Rain in Some Places, Max Temp 11°-16° C
- » Bulgaria: Caps for the Future Charity Initiative Begins this Weekend
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rains Continue but will Gradually Weaken
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Orange Code for Intensive Rainfall around the Country