Bulgarian Top Cop Bashes President over Chief Prosecutor Comment
Bulgarian Interior Minister has controversially described the presidential institution in the country as "merely formal", saying that nothing depends on President Rosen Plevneliev.
Tsvetanov's comment follows a statement made by President Rosen Plevneliev that a Chief Prosecutor may not be elected at the first attempt.
Plevneliev recently hinted that efforts would have to be renewed for the election of a Chief Prosecutor if none of the current candidates are deemed appropriate.
"The President is just a formal post. What depends on him?" the Interior Minister said Monday in an interview for bTV.
"The President is allowed to speak anything, but he can do nothing. His sole task is being liked by people," he also said.
Tsvetanov further reminded that the President's unprecedented move to walk out just as controversial judge Veneta Markovska was about to swear in as constitutional judge, thus blocking her appointment, could have resulted in his impeachment.
"If Mrs. Markovska did not resign, the opposition would have launched an impeachment procedure, since the constitution was violated," Tsvetanov claimed.
The Interior Minister also accused right-wing opposition figures Ivan Kostov and Nadezhda Neynsky of having close ties with murky businessman Alexey Petrov.
- » A Sharp Slowdown in Wage Growth in Bulgaria
- » Sofia Municipality Stops the Movement of Tram №7 on Bulgaria Blvd.
- » More than BGN 20 Million will be Invested for the Repair of 32 km of the Road Momchilgrad - Ivaylovgrad
- » The Bulgarian Social Minister Biser Petkov Resigned, PM Borisov Rejected the Resignation (Updated)
- » Trakia Highway is Closed in both Directions near Kameno because of a Fire
- » The Lyulin Highway Closes for Repair
This guy may be correct in his words (I do not know the legality of the Presidents position) but a word of warning to him, in disrespecting (as his words do) the position of President he disrespects the people who voted the President in (the people) such words show his contempt for democracy, such words come before a fall, watch for future events.