Bulgaria to Press for More EU Funds in Budget Bargaining
As EU member states and institution are coming at loggerheads over the 2014-20 EU budget framework, Bulgaria is expected to ask for more EU funds at its disposal for the period.
EU leaders are meeting in Brussels Thursday for what is bound to be a very difficult European Council.
Large net EU donors like Germany and eurosceptic countries like the UK are asking for a decrease of the EU's 7 year budget framework.
The European Commission, European Parliament and member states like Bulgaria have on the other hand argued for a budget increase.
They have asked for keeping the EC's initial EUR 1.033 T framework that some member states want to see significantly reduced.
Bulgaria in particular will argue for an increase of cohesion funds and agricultural subsidies.
Bulgarian PM Boyko Borisov has already stated that he will request about EUR 0.6 B more for cohesion.
If EU leaders do not manage to agree on a 7 year budget framework, the EU's budgets will have to be negotiated year for year.
- » A Dog Caught Nearly 200 kg of Heroin at Kapitan Andreevo Border Checkpoint
- » The EU Grants BGN 111 Million to Replace Solid Fuel Stoves and Heaters in 21 Bulgarian Cities
- » Producers of the Famous Bulgarian Rose Protest Because of the Low Purchase Price
- » First Comments from Euroleaders at the EU-Western Balkans Summit
- » Virtual Reality – The future of European industry at WATIFY: Inspire to Transform
- » The best WATIFY Technological Transformation for 2018 is…