Bulgaria's LGBT Request Legal Sex Self-Determination
Members of Bulgaria's LGBT community presented Thursday their call for an introduction of a right for citizens to determine their gender based on their feeling of identity.
At a press conference in Sofia, members of the Ability Resource Center said that although in most European countries each citizen has the right to determine the sex that will be entered into his or her identity documents, identity laws in Bulgaria are tied to the biological sex.
So people who want to change their sexual identity must undergo a sex change operation in order that their feeling of identity be formalized in their documents.
What is more, argued Ability members, undergoing a sex change operation in especially hard in Bulgaria, for clinics request an initial court decision before starting the procedure.
According to Bulgaria's Penal Code, a sex change operation might be classified as the crime of impairing a person's procreative fuctions, thus mandating a special court permission for each single case.
Ability representatives argued that Bulgarian authorities could do a lot to make regulation not so hindering for people who want to express their sexual identity.
- » Only 1/3 of Bulgarians are Interested in Science
- » Next year the Health Budget in Bulgaria will Increase by About BGN 490 Million
- » Taiwan Investigates Train Crash that Killed 18
- » Climatologist Assoc. Prof. Georgi Rachev Predicts a Warm Winter
- » Bulgarian Mothers of Disabled Children go on Protest with Demand for Deputy PM Simeonov to Resign
- » Mostly Cloudy Today with Rain in Some Parts of West and Central Bulgaria