Turkcell Submits Non-Binding Bid for Bulgaria's Globul
Turkey's largest mobile phone operator Turkcell said on Tuesday it had placed a non-binding preliminary bid to buy Bulgarian mobile operator Globul, put up for sale by its owner, Greece's OTE.
The Istanbul-based company, in a statement to the Istanbul Stock Exchange, said it placed the bid as it explores investment opportunities in the region.
Globul, Bulgaria's second-biggest mobile operator, reported earlier this month a sharp decline in revenues in a worrying sign about the future deal.
The revenues of telecoms operator Globul have dropped 20.9% in the third quarter of the year on an annual basis to EUR 85.9 M, data shows.
OTE, the biggest telecoms operator in southeastern Europe, announced in mid-June it plans to sell its Bulgarian units to help refinance EUR 3.4 B debt maturing in the next two years.
According to unconfirmed reports, OTE has hired the London unit of US Citigroup as a consultant for the sale.
Greek telecoms group OTE will seek to sell its Bulgarian businesses - a mobile phone company and an electronic appliance retail chain Germanos - for no less than EUR 800 M, according to reports.
Deutsche Telekom, which controls a 40% stake in OTE, Turkish Turkcell, British Vodafone and Orange, owned by France Telekom, have been listed as potential buyers.
Globul is the trademark under which Cosmo Bulgaria Mobile EAD offers mobile telecommunications services in Bulgaria.
The company is 100% owned by Cosmote, OTE's mobile phone arm.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The French government has drawn up a Package of Measures and Sanctions to Save Electricity
- » German Households to Reduce Energy Consumption by at least 20% due to the Gas Crisis
- » Bulgaria's GDP reached a Record 68 Billion Euros last year
- » Tourists paid BGN 900 (EUR 450) for their Child's Treatment in Sunny Beach
- » Vestbee: VC Funding In CEE reached over €2B in the 2nd quarter of 2022
- » Head of Energy Commission: After August, the Price of Gas in Bulgaria will Decrease