Obama: Israel Has Right to Defend Itself
Israel has a right to defend itself from missiles being aimed at the country by militants in the Gaza Strip, US President Barack Obama has declared.
Speaking in Bangkok during a tour of Asia, he said that "no country on earth would tolerate missiles raining down" on its people.
He added that any effort to resolve the conflict in Gaza "starts with no missiles being fired into Israel's territory," BBC informs.
However, Obama warned that escalating the offensive with Israeli ground troops could undermine any hope of a peace process with the Palestinians.
"We're going to have to see what kind of progress we can make in the next 24, 36, 48 hours," Obama also said.
On Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that Israeli forces were ready to expand their now five-day old military operation against the Palestinian enclave.
- » EU Looks to Screen Migrants in Africa to Stop Boatloads
- » Melania Trump Wears 'I Really don't Care do u?' Jacket on Migrant Visit
- » Russia and the UK are Running out of Beer because of the World Cup
- » The Bulgarian Presidency Drives the Debate on the Need to Further Promote Inclusive Education in Europe
- » Transparent and Predictable Working Conditions: Council Reaches General Approach
- » Eurogroup Statement on the Occasion of its 20th Anniversary