Gazprom Could Sponsor Bulgaria's Levski Sofia FC
Russian gas giant Gazprom could become an official sponsor to Bulgarian top football team Levski Sofia, stated Gazprom CEO Alexei Miller.
Thursday Miller is in Sofia, where he signed in the presence of Bulgarian PM Boyko Borisov the final investment agreement for the Bulgarian participation in the South Stream natural gas pipeline project.
As part of the energy visit, Bulgaria and Russia also signed a new 10-year natural gas delivery contract that lowered prices for Bulgaria with 20%.
"If cooperation between Bulgaria and Russia continues to go so well, we can consider financing the Levski football team," said Miller.
At the press conference Thursday, it was not made clear why Gazprom preferred Levski over CSKA.
Speculations have it that Gazprom prefers sponsoring teams playing in blue jerseys, corresponding to the company's own colors, and natural gas as "the blue fuel."
Bulgarian team Levski plays in blue, while CSKA plays in red.
The most famous football teams sponsored by Gazprom are German Schalke 04 and Russian Zenit.
- » Grigor Dimitrov Lost to Novak Djokovic in Queens
- » World Cup 2018: Football Showpiece Set to Begin in Russia
- » USA, Canada and Mexico will Host 2026 World Cup
- » Russia’s World Cup Costs to Exceed $14Bln, Media Reports
- » Spain Fired its Coach a Day before the Start of the 2018 World Cup
- » Mirela Demireva made a Historic Jump in Stockholm