Guatemala Quake Kills at Leat 48 People
The powerful 7.4-magnitude earthquake that struck off the coast of Guatemala on Wednesday has killed at least 48 people, the country's President has said.
President Otto Perez Molina told reporters during his visit to the disaster area in the San Marcos state on the border with Mexico that the tremor also destroyed over 50 homes and injured more than 150 people.
Scores of local residents are still missing, RIA Novosti informs.
On Wednesday, the US Geological Survey (USGS) said the quake struck at 1635 GMT some 24 km southwest of Champerico, Guatemala, and 163 km west-southwest of Guatemala City.
The earthquake damaged roads and several power lines, cutting transportation links to the region and leaving some 73,000 homes without electricity.
The quake was strongly felt in Guatemala City and Chiapas, and prompted evacuations as far north as Mexico City. It was also felt in El Salvador, Nicaragua and Belize.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Majority of the Bulgarian Community in Zaporizhzhia is under Occupation
- » Day 471 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv is waging a Counteroffensive on at least 3 Fronts
- » Member States agreed on "Fair Distribution" of Refugees and Migrants in the EU
- » Charges have been Filed against former US President Donald Trump
- » Turkey is preparing to take command of NATO forces in Kosovo
- » The Eurozone was in Recession in the First Quarter of 2023