Same-Sex Marriage Scores Historic Wins in US Vote
US voters in the states of Maine and Maryland became the first to approve legalizing same-sex marriage through a direct vote.
Early results in Minnesota and Washington are too close to call.
Same-sex marriage is already legal in six US states and the capital, Washington, DC. However, it was legalized there only through legislative or court actions.
Los Angeles Times reminds that the controversial issue had been before voters 32 times and had been rejected every time.
"When the history books are written, 2012 will be remembered as the year when LGBT Americans won decisively at the ballot box," Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, has commented in a statement.
President Barack Obama, who was reelected on Tuesday, endorsed same-sex marriage in May 2012.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Schengen Condition Fulfilled - Migrants on the Balkan Route have Halved
- » Erdogan declared Three-Month State of Emergency in 10 Regions of Turkey, Deaths from the Earthquakes are now 5000
- » Day 349 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv Expects a New Russian Offensive Very Soon
- » Turkey's Energy Infrastructure after the Earthquakes: Huge Fire, Stopped Gas and Oil Pipelines
- » More than 4,300 People Died from Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- » Thousands of Dead after Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria (OVERVIEW)