Spain's Top Court Upholds Gay Marriage
The Spanish Constitutional Court has defended same-sex marriage in rejecting a challenge filed by the conservative Popular Party against the law authorizing such unions, which was enacted by a Socialist administration.
Nearly 25 000 couples have been wed under the law since it was enacted in 2005 by Spain's then-Socialist goverment.
According to court officials, the verdict was passed by a vote of 8-3, EFE reported.
In its challenge, the PP - now in power - said the measure denaturalizes "the basic institution of marriage" as it has been known up to now.
No sooner was the Constitutional Court's ruling made public than Justice Minister Alberto Ruiz-Gallardon said that the government will abide by the decision reconfirming the gay-marriage law.
For their part, gay and lesbian organizations celebrated the Constitutional Court's ruling because "at last" all citizens, independently of their sexual orientation, are acknowledged to have the same rights and duties.
To such reactions, the president of the Family Forum, Benigno Blanco, stressed that the court's decision will undermine the trust that "many Spaniards" have in the constitution.
He told EFE that his group will continue calling for the law to be repealed.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said Tuesday, before learning of the court's ruling, that the PP only challenged the 2005 law for the word "marriage" and not for its judicial effects, "which don't matter to us."
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The European Commission urges Bulgaria to Reduce Air Pollution
- » Nehammer: The EU should Finance the Construction of a Fence along the Bulgarian-Turkish Border
- » Zelensky is Not Interested in Meeting Putin for Peace Talks
- » Attacks on Several Churches in Southern Spain, there are Killed and Injured
- » Day 337 of the Invasion of Ukraine: US Sends 31 M1 Abrams, Germany Sends 14 Leopards, The Tank Coalition Grows (UPDATED)
- » Meta to reinstate the Accounts of Donald Trump on Facebook and Instagram