Macedonia Proposes to Bulgaria 'Historians Summit'
Nikola Poposki, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Macedonia, has sent an open letter to his Bulgarian counterpart, Nikolay Mladenov, inviting him for talks with the goal to improve bilateral relations.
According to the Bulgarian Trud (Labor) daily, the most interesting part of the letter is the proposal to establish a joint expert committee with historians from both countries to debate historical issues and interpretation of facts.
Mladenov, speaking in an interview for Darik radio, stressed he was convinced both countries could apply more effort to improve bilateral relations and their European vision, but this could happen only through mutual respect on sensitive issues.
"I met Minister Poposki in New York; we had a long conversation, so we no longer need to chat. We need to see results now. Macedonia counts on Bulgaria's support for its joining of the EU. This support depends also on the report of the European Commission on Macedonia, which is due in a month and a half. It is crystal clear that it would be unlikely they will manage in this month and a half to take out from their school books stories like the one of Bulgaria having occupied Pirin Macedonia, separating it from its country and people," the Minister said.
He noted this was an absurd on its own, but on top of it there must be other processes, developing in several directions, adding nevertheless the two countries have common ground such as joint infrastructure projects.
"I am convinced that the future of Macedonia is in the EU, but problems between our two countries must be ironed out first," Mladenov concluded.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Foreign Ministry will Demand the Access of Bulgarian Citizens to North Macedonia to be Ensured
- » A Visit of a Bulgarian Theater Production was Canceled in North Macedonia
- » Provocation after Provocation: Macedonians will Block Roads for Bulgarians Heading to Gotse Delchev's Grave
- » North Macedonia’s Foreign Minister: Bulgarian Clubs should Change their Names
- » Bulgaria’s MFA summons the Macedonian Ambassador because of the Beating of a Bulgarian in Ohrid
- » In 2022, Bulgaria declared 84 Russian Officials as Persona Non Grata