Commissioner Barnier Lashes Out at Ultra-Liberalism
EU Trade Commissioner Michel Barnier stated that the EU has been at times "naive" in following the rules of what he termed "ultra-liberalism."
"Yes, Europe has been naive. Yes, Europe played the game of the ultra-liberal ideology," stated the French Commissioner for Radio Classique.
"In this great ultra-liberal wind, we believed that we could open all our doors and windows without the others making the same thing," added Barnier.
The EU Commissioner for Trade was referring specifically to trade agreements with China, but he chose a formulation that broadened his argument.
Although Barnier rejected protectionism as a counter measure to economic liberalism, he nevertheless supported a market economy that is socially responsible.
Accordingly, the center-right French politician criticized what he saw as trends in the socialist government in France towards protectionism and closing down the national market.
Barnier argued that the EU and member states must not close their markets, but rather try to convince their foreign trade partners to also open up.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria Takes over Rotating Presidency of SEDM Process
- » Eurostat: Excess Mortality Rate in EU Highest in Bulgaria
- » Politico: Scandals in Bulgaria Come Thick and Fast
- » Bulgaria’s President Attends NATO Summit in Brussels
- » Bulgaria and Czech Republic Probe into Arms Depots Blasts Together
- » New Procedure to Be Launched for Electing Six Bulgarian EU Delegated Prosecutors