Hurricane Sandy Triggers Mass Evacuation in New York
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has ordered the evacuation of 375,000 people in low-lying areas threatened by Hurricane Sandy.
"This is a serious and dangerous storm," Bloomberg has told a news conference, as cited by The Telegraph.
The NYSE and Nasdaq stock markets will be closed on Monday and possibly longer as Hurricane Sandy is expected to hit New York city.
US authorities ordered coastal evacuations and airlines canceled transatlantic flights as Hurricane Sandy bore down on the east coast after claiming 66 lives in the Caribbean.
The US National Hurricane Center said early Monday that the Category 1 hurricane has top sustained winds of 75 mph, with higher gusts. It is moving toward the north at 14 mph after moving northeast Sunday night, CBS News informs.
Hurricane-force winds extend up to 175 miles from the storm's center. Gale force winds were reported over coastal North Carolina, southeastern Virginia, the Delmarva Peninsula and coastal New Jersey.
CBS News said on Monday that Sandy is about 425 miles southeast of New York City and the center of the storm is expected to be near the mid-Atlantic coast on Monday night.
States of emergency have been declared in Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC and a coastal county in North Carolina, BBC informs.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 221 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russians withdraw from Lyman, Zelensky vows for more Recaptured Territories
- » Day 220 of the Invasion of Ukraine: The West Reacts to Putin’s Speech and his Nuclear Threats
- » China's Yuan sinks to record Low against Dollar ahead of key National Congress
- » 19 Killed in Anti-Government Protests in Iran
- » US: Death Toll reaches 21 in Florida as Hurricane Ian hits South Carolina
- » Kyiv's response to Putin: Ukraine quickly Enters NATO