Bulgaria to Reinstate Ban on Hunting Brown Bears
Bulgaria has decided to scrap its 3% minimum hunting quota for brown bears and impose a ban on brown bear hunting, according to a draft bill.
The ban is already in force in a number of EU member states and that the brown bear is a protected species under Council Directive 92/43/EEC on the conservation of natural habitats.
According to the existing EU legislation, member states are allowed to use derogations and authorise the taking of specimens of those species subject to strict protection, provided that there is no satisfactory alternative and the derogation is not detrimental to the maintenance of the population of the species concerned at a favourable conservation status in their natural range.
In June, the European Commission requested information and clarifications from the Bulgarian authorities as regards the amendments of the Hunting and Game Species Conservation Act and the overall policy for the protection of the species. After assessing the reply, the Commission said that a possible breach of the provisions of Council Directive 92/43/EEC of 21 May 1992 on the conservation of natural habitats and of wild fauna and flora (The Habitats Directive) exists.
That prompted the Commission to pursue legal action against Bulgaria for failing to comply properly with its obligations under EU law.
The Bulgarian government introduced a bear hunting quota for the first time in 2011. Hunting and killing brown bears had been prohibited in the country for over 20 years.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Max. Temperatures between 6°C and 11°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Max. Temperatures between 1°C and 6°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Windy and cold with max. temperatures between 1°C and 6°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Yellow Code for strong wind is in force for 27 districts in the country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cloudy with Max. Temperatures between 3°C and 8°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Lowest Temp. in the Country was Measured in Kyustendil -10 °C