Bulgaria's 'Belneyski' Double Murder Case Returned for Retrial
Bulgaria's Supreme Court of Cassation (VKS) is returning the high-profile "Belneyski" double murder case for retrial, according to a decision published on VKS' website.
Under the decision of VKS, the case will be returned to the Plovdiv District Court for retrial by a new judge panel.
On November 23, 2011 the Plovdiv Appellate Court upheld the life without parole sentence of Lazar Kolev, the only defendant in the case.
Kolev was also sentenced to pay BGN 400 000 to the parents of the victims, sisters Hristina and Rositsa Belneyski.
At the hearing at VKS in April, however, the parents of the murdered girls demanded a retrial.
The parents explained the move with the fact that they wanted Kolev to name his accomplice, which he had failed to do.
Fani and Stoimen Belneyski, have also decided to sack their lawyer, Ivo Naydenov.
Sisters Rositsa (18) and Kristina (15) Belneyski went missing in January 2006, after leaving a night club in the town of Pazardzhik.
The sisters were found dead at the beginning of February 2006 near the town of Peshtera.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: A Driver was Detained after a Spectacular Chase with the Police in Sofia
- » Murder in Sofia: A Man Died from Multiple Stab Wounds, his Son was Detained
- » Bulgaria: Authorities Detained a Police Officer while On Duty with more than 1.6 Promille of Alcohol
- » Specialized Police Operation in the Bulgarian Village of Sindel after the Rape of a 73-year-old Woman
- » A 73-year-old Woman was Raped in a Bulgarian Village
- » 30 Days in Detention for the Attacker of Bulgarian Hristiyan Pendikov in North Macedonia