Georgia's Rulers, Opposition Both Claim Poll Victory
Georgia's governing party and the opposition have both claimed victory in the country's parliamentary elections.
Early results suggest the opposition Georgian Dream coalition, led by billionaire Bidzina Ivanishvili, had a clear lead in votes for party lists.
But President Mikheil Saakashvili said his ruling party was winning in the race for the seats decided on a first-past-the-post basis.
Official results from Monday's vote are expected within hours.
In the election, 77 out of 150 parliamentary seats were contested in the proportional vote, while the other 73 seats were determined on the first-past-the post basis.
With 12% of the vote counted under the party list system, Georgian Dream secured 54%, while Saakashvili's United National Movement (UNM) had 41%.
MORE read HERE
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » At least 280 Dead and over 900 Injured in a Crash between Two Trains in India
- » Tragedy in India: At least 50 Dead and hundreds Injured after Train Crash
- » 700 NATO troops have arrived in Northern Kosovo
- » Day 464 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia faces a Dilemma whether to Protect its Border or the Occupied Territories
- » The Richest Man in the World: Elon Musk regained the Top Spot in the ranking
- » The US Senate has approved Raising the National Debt Ceiling