Greece's Marinopoulos Names New CEO for Carrefour in Bulgaria
Three months after Greece's Marinopoulos became Carrefour exclusive franchisee in Southeast Europe, a new executive director has been appointed for Bulgaria.
CMB Bulgaria, which represents French supermarket retailer in Bulgaria, has named Jacques Dome as executive director, a check in the Trade Registry shows.
The 44-year-old Belgian will replace Christian Charitat.
In the middle of June, just days ahead of Greece's crucial elections, French supermarket retailer Carrefour said it would abandon the country, its only unprofitable market.
Carrefour, France's largest supermarket retailer by sales, sold its 50% stake in its supermarket chain in Greece to its local partner, the Marinopoulos family.
The price of the deal was not disclosed, but the French group said it would take a mostly noncash charge of EUR 220 M.
Carrefour said the sale would allow the joint venture, which also operates in Cyprus, Bulgaria, Albania and other Balkan countries, "to meet the challenges of Greece's prevailing economic environment."
Carrefour Marinopoulos, formed in 1999, continue to operate as a franchisee of Carrefour in Bulgaria and the French company provide products in exchange for a fee.
The venture has 41 hypermarkets, 287 supermarkets and 479 convenience stores in Greece and Cyprus.
Carrefour SA opened its first Sofia store at The Mall, the country's then largest shopping center, in April 2010, five years after abandoning the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
The Paris-based company, Europe's biggest retailer, said it wants to shore up flagging sales at home by expanding in Bulgaria, where investors enjoy lower wages and costs.
In Bulgaria Carrefour competes with German chains Metro AG and Rewe Handelsgruppe, which run the Metro hypermarkets and Billa supermarkets, as well as Ljubljana, Slovenia-based Mercator, the largest supermarket chain in the Balkans, which opened its first superstore here in 2009.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Spurred by Film and TV Production, Canadian Entertainment Industry Continues to Surge
- » Bulgaria: Inspections of Fast Loan Companies are starting all over the country
- » Bulgaria: Natural Gas in June will become cheaper by 15% thanks to the Azeri Gas Interconnector
- » Bulgaria: The Budget Committee accepted the Budget Extension
- » Bulgarian National Bank: We are on the Final stretch on the Road to the Eurozone
- » Bulgaria imported over 55,000 tons of Fresh Vegetables and 66,000 tons of Fruit in January and February