??Dozens of Dead Dolphins Washed Ashore in Bulgaria in Summer 2012
At least 68 dead dolphins have been washed ashore along Bulgaria's Southern Black Sea coast, the Regional Environmental Inspectorate in Burgas announced Friday.
Only in August 2012, more than 30 dolphins were washed ashore on the beaches between Byala and Tsarevo, the institution said, adding that the dead dolphins are from the three Black Sea species – common bottlenose dolphin, harbor porpoise, and common dolphin.
All three species are protected by law, and it is forbidden to hunt, kill, capture, or otherwise disturb them, or to take away their corpses.
A high number of migrating birds have also been hurt over the summer period, the Environmental Inspectorate in Burgas said.
In August, the environmental institution confiscated two iguanas and a monkey that were used as "tourist attractions" along the Southern Black Sea coast, including in the Sunny Beach resort.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Max Temp Between 17°-22°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Max Temp Between 16°-21°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Few Clouds and Mostly Sunny Today with Max Temp 15°-20°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: A Decrease of Clouds and Rain with Max Temp Between 13°-18°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cloudy with Rain in Some Places, Max Temp 11°-16° C
- » Bulgaria: Caps for the Future Charity Initiative Begins this Weekend