Fulham Favorites to Get Berbatov, Juventus Chief Says
Manchester United's Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov has been linked with a move to Fulham after a deal with Italian club Fiorentina fell through.
Juventus also want to sign the Manchester United striker but director general Giuseppe Marotta revealed the interest from the London club.
"There was a proposal by Fulham. We made our own, then the player said he preferred to stay in England for family reasons," Marotta stated, as cited by the BBC.
Fulham have refused to comment on the situation when contacted by BBC Sport.
Fiorentina say they had agreed a deal with United and had already paid the first instalment of the transfer fee for the former Bulgaria international, who joined the Red Devils from Tottenham in a GBP 30.75 M move in 2008.
Marotta has defended Juventus against Fiorentina's accusations.
"We have acted with the maximum fairness and transparency with regard to the market dynamics," Marotta told Sky Italia.
"I reject the allegations from Fiorentina. We entered into the business over Berbatov when we heard that he had refused Fiorentina."
In July, Berbatov conceded it would be "better for everyone" that he leaves Old Trafford after starting just five Premier League matches last season.
He has seen his chances of earning more regular first-team football diminish further with the arrival this summer of GBP 24 M striker Robin van Persie from Arsenal.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Footballers and Fans of Lokomotiv Plovdiv with Coronavirus
- » Bulgaria's FC "Black Sea": Over 10 Football Players Test Positive for COVID-19
- » Bulgarian Minister of Sports Krassen Kralev : Stadiums Could Close Doors to Fans
- » 30 Years Later: Liverpool Is The New Champion of England!
- » Tennis Star Novak Djokovic Tests Positive for Covid-19
- » Coaches of Grigor Dimitrov and Novak Djokovic Tested Positive for COVID-19