Jordan Saw Massive Influx of Syrian Refugees Last Week
The number of Syrians fleeing to the Al Zaatri refugee camp in Jordan has doubled over the past week, according to the UN refugee agency UNHCR.
Some 10,200 people entered the camp in the week ending on August 27, UNHCR spokesperson Melissa Flemming has told reporters.
"Refugees say many thousands more are waiting to cross amid violence aroung Daraa and we believe this could be the start of a much larger influx," she added, as cited by international media.
Jordan now hosts more than 160,000 Syrian refugees — the most of any country in the region.
On Monday, Jordan's government and the UN launched a USD 429 M aid appeal to provide basic services for a Syrian refugee population growing by some 2,300 persons per day
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 459 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Another Russian attack before Kyiv Day
- » There is a Deal in Principle on the US Debt Ceiling
- » Day 458 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia is preparing a Simulation of an Accident at the Zaporizhzhia NPP according to Kyiv
- » Turkey will Vote for the first time in a Presidential Runoff
- » Germany to Transfer its “Patriot” Systems from Slovakia to Lithuania
- » The Situation in Northern Kosovo is Calm - Vucic no longer Leader of his Party