Low Danube Levels in Bulgaria Threaten to Halt Navigation
Emergency measures have been undertaken to provide navigation safety over the very low water levels of the Bulgarian section of the Danube River.
These levels continue to go down and threaten the full stop of any navigation, the Maritime Administration Executive Agency in Ruse warns.
If this happens, it will be a repeat of last summer when it inflicted huge losses for ship owners.
In the area of the city of Ruse there as a forecast for an additional decrease of 12 cm in the course of the next few days.
A sand shallow has formed at kilometer 562 close to the Belene island, nearly blockading ships. Effective Saturday, ships with large loads are banned there.
On Thursday, a cruise ship with about 100 foreign tourists got stuck near the town of Svishtov over the low water level. The passengers had to spend one hour in the shallow before the vessel was pulled out by another one.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria has Paid almost 400 Million Euros for the Import of Azeri Gas
- » Bulgarian-Turkish Business Forum opens Today in Burgas
- » Unfair Import of Millions of Eggs from Ukraine: Bulgarian Producers
- » Balchik- Increasingly Popular Destination on the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast
- » Bulgaria approved a Derogation for the Purchase of Parts and Materials for the Kozloduy NPP from Russia
- » Bulgaria will receive EUR 16 Million in Compensation due to large Imports of Grain from Ukraine