Westerwelle Roots for 'True EU Constitution'
German Minister of Foreign Affairs Guido Westerwelle has spoken up in support of an EU Constitution to be adopted via popular referendum.
"I hope that we will one day have a true European Constitution, to be then decided by a popular referendum," said Westerwelle in an interview for Bild am Sonntag.
Apart from Westerwelle, who is representative of Germany's liberal Free Democratic Party, the idea for an EU Constitution referendum has also been backed by conservative Christian Social Union's chair and PM of Bavaria Horst Seehofer.
In the Bild interview however, Foreign Affairs Minister Westerwelle has stood up behind the Chancellor Angela Merkel cabinet's position against the issuing of eurobonds.
According to Westerwelle, Germany has shown it is committed to sensibly rescue financially troubled EU members, but eurobonds would "increase, rather than decrease the crisis."
The German Minister of Foreign affairs has on the other hand spoken in favor of further buying out of troubled EU members' sovereign debt from the European Central Bank.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria Receives Support from Hungary for Entry in Schengen Area
- » Bulgaria Received Last Warning from EU to Change Its Airport Fees
- » Bulgaria Wants Comprehensive EU Solution for Integration of N.Macedonia
- » President Radev Will Represent Bulgaria at European Council Meeting in Brussels
- » Bulgaria Takes over Rotating Presidency of SEDM Process
- » Eurostat: Excess Mortality Rate in EU Highest in Bulgaria