Bulgarian Interior Refutes Reports Terror Bomber Was Guantanamo Detainee
Media reports claiming that the suicide bomber who attacked a bus full of Israeli tourists in Bulgaria is Swedish ex Guantanamo detainee Mehdi Ghezali are false, stated the Bulgarian Ministry of Interior.
"Information circulated by media and elsewhere that the man who performed a suicide attack in Burgas is Mehdi Ghezali is not true," said the Ministry in a statement.
Bulgarian news site News.bg was among the first to publish the report, quoting its own forum users and refering to Ghezali's profile in the site CagePrisoners.com and the similarity they found in CCTV footage released earlier by the Bulgarian Ministry of Interior.
Born in Stockholm in 1979, Swedish national Mehdi Ghezali is of mixed Algerian and Finnish descent.
He was detained in US detention camp of Guantanamo between 2002 and 2004, with no formal charges levied against him before his release.
Prior to his detention, Ghezali studied at Muslim religious schools in the UK, and after that traveled to Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and Pakistan, where he was detained.
Just before the release of the refutation, Bulgarian Minister of Interior Tsvetan Tsvetanov stated that the "ring around the perpetrator is tightening up," but refused to reveal any details before the end of investigations.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: A Man Stabbed his Neighbors because of their Barking Dog
- » The Bulgarian Entrepreneur Tzvetan Vassilev is No Longer Wanted by Interpol
- » Bulgaria: 9 Months in Prison for a Man caught Driving Drunk for the Second Time
- » A Law will Prohibit the Sale of Nitrous Oxide or “Laughing Gas” to Minors in Bulgaria
- » Operation in Greece for the capture of Bulgarian Cryptoqueen Ruja Ignatova
- » Methamphetamine was found in the Blood of Semerdzhiev who Caused the Car Crash on July 5