High-speed Railroad Launched in Southern Bulgaria
All trains serving the railroad line between the second largest city of Plovdiv and the town of Dimitrovgrad in southern Bulgaria can now travel with speeds up to 160 km/h.
The news was announced by Transport Minister, Ivaylo Moskovski, during the official opening of the railway section. The ceremony was also attended by Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov, the European Commissioner for Regional Policy Johannes Hahn, President, Rosen Plevneliev, Regional Development Minister, Lilyana Pavlova, and Agriculture Minister, Miroslav Naydenov.
Officials and reporters had the opportunity to experience firsthand the new high-speed car Desiro and travel with 140 km/h. After the trip, Borisov handed to the CEO of the National Railroad Infrastructure Company, Milcho Lambrev, the official permit for the use of the section.
The line between Plovdiv and Dimitrovgrad is part of the project "Reconstruction and Modernization of the Plovdiv – Svilengrad (Greek and Turkish Border) Railroad." It is financed by the EU ISPA and Transport operational programs. The section is 67-km-long and allows speeds of 160 km/h for passenger trains and 120 km/h for freight ones.
It is expected that the section Svilengrad – Turkish Border will be completed by the end of 2012, while the section Dimitrovgrad – Svilengrad is divided in two lots. The contractors, which have already been selected, will start work there in just days.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » BSMEPA and BDB will host the 17th annual meeting of INSME in Sofia on December 9-10
- » Switzerland has introduced a Mandatory PCR Test Requirement upon Entry
- » Bulgarian Tour Operators are Reporting Increased Interest in Charter Programs for the Holidays
- » US has Introduced Mandatory COVID-19 Negative Test Requirement for those Arriving by Plane
- » Kristalina Georgieva: Omicron could Slow Down the Pace of Global Economic Recovery
- » “The Bulgarian Davos” Event will take place on December 14