4 Bulgarians Arrested in Fake Euro Workshop Raid
Four Bulgarians have been detained as part of a crime group specialized in the production of counterfeit euro coins and banknotes.
According to an announcement of Bulgaria's Specialized Prosecutor's Office, charges have been pressed against Sergey Asenov Atemin, Todor Georgiev Bekirski and Dimitar Yankov Serbezov.
The three were detained on June 27, 2012 on the territory of the southern Bulgarian district of Plovdiv, within a specialized operation of the Chief Directorate for Combating Organized Crime (GDBOP) conducted under the leadership and supervision of the Specialized Prosecutor's Office and coordinated with Europol and the competent authorities in Greece.
Earlier on the same day, Nikolay Konstantinov Valkanov, leader of the group, and two other members of Greek nationality were arrested in Greece, according to reports of news portal dnevnik.bg.
Valkanov and the two Greeks were arrested as they were handing the fake 2 euro coins.
The coins were imported in Greece via Bulgaria, where their illegal origins were disguised through legal activities.
The coins were produced at a factory producing metal goods.
According to the evidence gathered so far, the crime ring started functioning at the beginning of 2011.
The offenders have also been said to have participated in the production and distribution of fake euro banknotes, as well as in drug trafficking.
The three suspects caught in Bulgaria have been detained for 72 hours and the prosecuting authority will seek remand in custody.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: 12 Migrants crammed into a Car were Detained in the Harmanlii village of Bulgarin
- » Bulgaria: A Man Killed his Wife and Daughter, then took His Own Life
- » Action in Bulgaria: Police Chase and Shooting near a Business Building in Sofia - A Boy was Killed
- » Bulgaria’s Interior Minister: There is Still No Suspect for the Murder of Alexei Petrov
- » Bulgaria: A Man Beat a Woman he lives with in Svishtov and Cut her Hair
- » Bulgarian Police caught a Large Group of Migrants near Kazichene