Turkey, Azerbaijan Ink TANAP Gas Pipe Deal

Business » ENERGY | June 26, 2012, Tuesday // 20:33
Bulgaria: Turkey, Azerbaijan Ink TANAP Gas Pipe Deal Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev and Turkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan during a prior meeting, December 2010. Photo by BGNES

Neighbors Turkey and Azerbaijan have signed a contract for the construction of the Trans-Anatolian gas pipeline (TANAP), set to deliver Azeri gas on to Europe.

Turkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Azeri President Ilham Aliyev were present at the ceremony, conducted on the sidelines of the Istanbul summit of the Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation.

The future TANAP pipe is previewed to transport some 10 B cub.m. of natural gas from the Shah Deniz and other fields in Azerbaijan to Europe starting 2018.

The capacity of the pipeline is expected to grow to 23 B cub.m. per year in 2023 and 31 B cub.m. in 2026.

According to Turkish PM Erdogan, the pipeline will be so constructed as to also allow the delivery of natural gas from Turkmenistan.

The project is expected to cost about USD 7 B and to be constructed over the coming 6 years.

Turkey participates with 20% of the project's shares, divided between state Botas company and oil corporation TPAO; the remaining 80% will be held by Azeri state company SOCAR.

The Trans-Anatolian gas pipeline is seen by some as yet another hurdle on the way of the stalled Nabucco natural gas pipeline, developed by the EU to deliver Azeri gas to Europe.

However, earlier Tuesday, a Nabucco official said that the company does not view TANAP as a competitor, and that the EU pipeline will be built anyway.

We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!

Energy » Be a reporter: Write and send your article
Tags: turkey, Azerbaijdan, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Ilham Aliyev, natural gas, TANAP, Trans-anatolian gas pipeline, Nabucco, EU, europe, Turkmenistan, Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation
Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
Bulgaria news Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency - www.sofianewsagency.com) is unique with being a real time news provider in English that informs its readers about the latest Bulgarian news. The editorial staff also publishes a daily online newspaper "Sofia Morning News." Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency - www.sofianewsagency.com) and Sofia Morning News publish the latest economic, political and cultural news that take place in Bulgaria. Foreign media analysis on Bulgaria and World News in Brief are also part of the web site and the online newspaper. News Bulgaria