Breivik Trial Over, Verdict Due on August 24
The trial of mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik ended in Norway with a walkout by families of victims in protest at his attempts to justify the massacre.
As he took the stand to explain why he killed 77 people last July, some 30 people filed out of the courtroom, BBC reports.
The victims' support group involved in the boycott has explained that it was aimed at Breivik and not the court itself.
"With that silent demonstration, we show our detest for what he has done and what he stands for, support group member Trond Henry Blattmann has told Dagbladet.
"Only one word can describe what it is to sit in the same room with the man who has murdered your own child: Hell," he has added.
Expectedly, Brevik asked to be considered sane. He said he wanted to be acquitted, claiming he "acted to stop a Muslim invasion."
Judges will deliver their verdict on 24 August. The prosecution is asking for Breivik to be deemed insane.
Breivik's lawyer, Geir Lippestad, said his client had been driven by "extreme politics".
In July 2011 Breivik murdered a total of 77 people by planting a bomb in Oslo's government center and then going on a shooting rampage in a children's camp on nearby island of Utoya in July 2011.
The children's camp was hosted by the ruling Labor Party.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The European Commission urges Bulgaria to Reduce Air Pollution
- » Nehammer: The EU should Finance the Construction of a Fence along the Bulgarian-Turkish Border
- » Zelensky is Not Interested in Meeting Putin for Peace Talks
- » Attacks on Several Churches in Southern Spain, there are Killed and Injured
- » Day 337 of the Invasion of Ukraine: US Sends 31 M1 Abrams, Germany Sends 14 Leopards, The Tank Coalition Grows (UPDATED)
- » Meta to reinstate the Accounts of Donald Trump on Facebook and Instagram